Recipe courtesy of Alison Bermack, Cooking With Friends Club
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken
2 large onions, diced
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup petit peas
Make the Filling:
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on a medium heat.
2. Sauté the ginger, garlic and onions for about 5 minutes on a medium-high heat.
3. Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking apart the meat as you go.
4. Season with curry powder, salt and cumin. When the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes), add the petit peas and carrots. Combine well and set aside.
Crimp the Empanadas:
1. Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of an empanada wrapper.
2. Fold one side over the other and crimp the edges together, using the rope or fork method.
3. Repeat until finished with all of the wrappers and filling.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brush the tops of the empanadas with egg wash (one egg lightly beaten with a dash of water)
3. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden. Serve with Tamarind sauce or other sweet chutney.
1. Crimp each empanada and lay on a baking sheet lined with wax paper (making sure not to overlap or stack the empanadas.)
2. Place uncovered in the freezer for several hours until the empanadas are frozen solid.
3. Transfer to a freezer bag and seal, squeezing out excess air.
4. To cook, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, brush the tops of each with egg wash and bake on a non-stick baking sheet for 30 minutes until golden.