Cole slaw is quintessentially Jersey to me, as it always conjures up images of late night trips to the diner for a club sandwich with a side of fries. This broccoli slaw is a healthy twist on the diner classic, and is the perfect side dish for your summer time cookout.
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small, bite-sized florets
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ½ avocado, mashed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- sesame seeds
- Using a steamer basket in a pot of shallow water or an electric steamer, steam the broccoli for a few minutes, until bright green and firm-crisp. If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can lightly steam the broccoli in covered in shallow pan with a little water. You can use raw broccoli, but it’s harder to digest raw.
- Rinse the broccoli in cold water.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, avocado, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper
- Place the carrots, broccoli and onion in a large bowl, add the dressing and mix well. Top with sesame seeds.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, to allow the flavors to combine. Serve chilled.