Autumn is here! The air is crisp, leaves are changing color, and warm and hearty stews are on the menu. This is the time of year that every starts talking about adding pumpkin to just about everything they consume – coffee, oatmeal, soup, hummus, pasta sauce – you name it, you can pumpkinize it. This pumpkin curry recipe combines two of my fall food loves – warming curry and the hearty pumpkin.
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1 tablespoon coconut oil
· 3 tablespoons red curry paste
· 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
· 1 cup vegetable broth
· 4 cups cheese pumpkin, kabocha squash or butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
· 3 medium carrots, sliced
· 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
· 2 cups spinach, chopped
· 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it turns translucent and starts to brown a little.
2. Stir in the curry paste, broth and coconut milk. Add the carrots, squash and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pot, reduce hit to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Mix in the spinach until just wilted and top with the sliced basil.
4. Serve hot with cooked brown rice and enjoy!
Serves 4 - 6